2.24.2012

A Quest for a Fish Taco.

Since embarking on the culinary decision to revolve my cuisine around pescatarian ideals, Fish Tacos have consistently been an item to debate. Once I interpret the definition of pescatarian to a curious individual, almost on cue they inquire about this Latin delight. Though I have consumed my fair share of tortilla wrapped goodness, Wahoo's Fish Taco has made itself quite the contender.

Wing, Ed, and Mingo, acknowledging the diverse attributes of each brother, established the ecceletic mix of cuisines in 1988. Offering a varied menu sourcing its style from what they label "Mexican/Brazilan/Asian with a Hawaii North Shore vibe", Wahoo's provides an option for just about every targeted segment. 


I particularly enjoyed their combo platter equipped with my choice of Rice(seasoned white or brown), Beans(black or Cajun White) and Two Tacos. The unique flavors and variations on the filling options sold me upon first glance; not only do they offer the usual Chicken, Carnitas, and Fish, but Shrimp, Tofu, Mushrooms, Veggie, and Banzai Veggies also were viable options. 

With so many options, I struggled to chose just two fillings to satisfy my appetite. I already had made the subjective decision to try their Fish taco(Grilled or Cajun), but eventually decided on the Banzai Vegetables.

Wahoo's isn't meager with their portions like other chain taco shops either. Acknowledging this hefty portion, I awarded my stomach with the promise I had made~ indulge yet another Fish Taco. Blanketed by a slightly charred corn tortilla, grilled wild caught fish, fresh cheddar, chopped lettuce and diced tomatos came together in a heavenly bite. And another bite. And yet another bite.

I then moved on to my Banzai taco. I already was quite impressed that such a restaurant would offer a vegetarian option, but really became enthralled when noting it actually had flavor. Prepared with a premix of bell peppers, onions, zucchni, broccoli, mushrooms, and cabbage all sauteed in a homemade terryaki sauce, my tastebuds were pleasantly pleased with the tying of cultures into one taco.

Successful eating when noting that not all tacos are 'Mexican.' A cultured and adventurous palette not only entails experimenting with the vulnerability of your tongue, but the actual context of the culinary endeavor you're participating in. Think about this next time your eating at a gastropub~ 



No comments:

Post a Comment